BS-MD Accelerated Program
Early Admissions for Nevada High School Seniors
The School of Medicine, in partnership with the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) and University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), offers a seven year accelerated pathway for a small number of Nevada's motivated and mature high school seniors who intend to pursue a career in medicine. The twelve students accepted into this program will complete the first three years of the required undergraduate curriculum at UNR or UNLV, followed by the traditional four years of medical school.
BS-MD Information Night
Come learn more about the program and the application process from the BS-MD Program coordinators. Talk with current students, alumni and advisors from the various BS-MD majors as well as the university's honors program. If you are interested in attending, please reserve your seat using the links below.
- Reno: October 22, 2015 from 5:30 - 7:30 pm at UNR's Pennington Health Sciences (PHS) Building. Reserve your seats.
- Las Vegas: October 27, 2015 from 5:30 - 7:30 pm at the University of Nevada School of Medicine Las Vegas Campus: 1701 West Charleston Blvd., Suite 130. Reserve your seats.
Applications open November 15, 2015
A note about application communication: the BS-MD Program is a professional preparation program. As such, we would like to insist that the student applicant be present for all communication regarding their application.
- Instructions, Guidelines & Tips for the BS-MD Program Application
- BS-MD Online Application
- BS-MD Program Reference Letter Request Form
How does the BS-MD program work?
At the time of admission to the BS-MD program, students receive a provisional acceptance to the University of Nevada School of Medicine. Students work with the BS-MD Coordinator and an advisor in their approved major at UNR or UNLV to schedule a course plan to complete the Bachelor's Degree requirements throughout three years at the undergraduate institution and the first year in medical school. To be eligible to matriculate to the School of Medicine after the third year, students must maintain a minimum 3.5 overall and science GPA and successfully complete the MCAT. In addition, research and clinical experience will be required of students accepted into the program.
Who should apply?
Students must meet the following criteria:
- Combined Math/Critical Reading sections* score of 1270 or greater on the SAT, or combined ACT score of 29 or greater;
- Placement in the top 10% of their graduating high school class, or an un-weighted GPA of 3.7;
- Must be a Nevada resident and US Citizenship or permanent resident of the US; Non-US citizens must have a permanent resident visa and Nevada residency;
- Attend a Nevada high school for a minimum of two years and graduate from a Nevada high school;
- Applicants must be first-time freshman applicants to UNR or UNLV and must have applied to the undergraduate institution by February 1st. Students must select which university they will attend before applying to the BS-MD program;
- Healthcare experience (hospital volunteerism, physician shadowing, etc.);
- Other criteria to be evaluated include extracurricular activities, leadership skills, maturity, and work experience.
*The program does not use the writing section score to qualify students for consideration for the BS-MD program. Only the scores in critical reading and math are used.
Students with a GED: It is very common around the country for a GED to meet a requirement for admission to a university or college, but not for a major or specific program which has additional criteria like high school GPA, specific coursework, SAT or ACT test scores. The GED is a specific type of high school diploma, but the exam for the awarding of the GED is not a test for college-readiness. The BS-MD program is an accelerated program and students must be ready to begin calculus and other college level courses. Applicants to the BS-MD program must provide a complete high school transcript as part of the application process.
How do I apply?
The BS-MD application process is separate from that of the undergraduate institutions. Interested students must apply to their university of choice (UNR or UNLV) through the regular application process, then apply to the BS-MD Program. Below is the selection process timeline:
- Application: Open from November 15th through January 22nd each year. All application material must be received by the closing date for consideration.
- Interviews: Interviews will be scheduled on February 19th and 20th in Reno, NV
- Selection Committee: The Committee will meet on the last week of February
- Student Notification: All decisions will be sent out the second week of March
- Deadline for Acceptance: All students who are selected for the program, must accept their space in writing no later than March 25th
The BS-MD Selection Committee will select students from applicants who apply using the online supplemental application process. At the time of admission to the BS-MD program, students receive a provisional acceptance to the University of Nevada School of Medicine. All students are required to successfully complete all the undergraduate requirements.
Save the dates: February 19 and 20, 2016
Applicants will be notified via e-mail, by February 1st, if they have been selected to interview. You must be available on the above interview dates. All interviews will be conducted in Reno, NV; plan on the entire day for the interview process. UNSOM will use a modified version of the Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI) for the BS-MD selection process. Additional information will be provided to applicants as they are invited to interview.
FAQs about the BS-MD Applicant Multiple Mini Interviews
Campus-specific information for current & prospective students:
Undergraduate Majors and course sequencing options vary by campus and may require college coursework to be completed the summer before the start of the BS-MD program. Please review the choices and requirements for your preferred undergraduate campus to help you plan for your BS-MD program.
Questions/Updated Information: E-mail us at email@example.com.