Advising for Pre Medical Students
Admissions and Student Affairs
Are you considering a career in medicine? Great news! Career opportunities for physicians are expected to reach historic highs in the near future as more of the population ages, health care changes and the US population grows.
Are you ready to talk to an advisor? Take these steps first:
- Meet with your college major advisor.
- Find out what resources your college offers to students preparing to apply to medical school.
- Meet with the pre-professional advisor at your college or university. This person specializes in advising students preparing to apply to all professional school options (medicine, dental, law).
- Check out the resources for students who are considering a career in medicine provided by the Association of American Medical Colleges.
- Educate yourself about the required coursework at all the medical schools you may be interested in applying to, including University of Nevada School of Medicine (UNSOM) required coursework.
- Learn about what other factors are important when evaluating applicants to medical school for all schools you are interested in applying to including UNSOM selection factors.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) information. This should answer many of your questions.
- Are you an in-state or out-of-state applicant? Check out the residency requirements for UNSOM and for all medical schools you are considering.
- Update your resume so it includes all your experience, work, educational and accomplishments to date.
- Take a look at your transcript. Know your overall GPA, science GPA and non-science GPA. Check out the this information for accepted applicants at UNSOM and all other medical schools you are considering.
- Plan to attend UNSOM information sessions on your campus, if you attend one of the Nevada universities or colleges.
Still have questions? Please note advising sessions with UNSOM staff are very limited during October through January due to the admissions cycle.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (775) 784-6063